Sunday, December 30, 2007

Day one Down!

Well, we have attended Caucus training with the Linn County Democratic Party! You all would never believe this- they talked about pizza, our Jason Sime is right on message with his Iowa Peeps. FYI Nevadans we got a good one, because Jason's presentation rocks- I can now tell you first hand, he is one of the best! As for caucus training conversation, a heavily debated topic around here is "same day caucus registrations", the fact voters need show no proof of residence is driving these Iowans crazy. Apparently in the past, locals felt this was controlable, however this caucus there is a big concern that "The first in the Nation" could be compromised with intruders, although they "hope" it won't....

Now for some good news that comes with progress. During the 2004 Iowa caucus, many a campaigners had to suffer with out Starbucks. However no longer, this caucus (thank goodness) even Cedar Rapids has Starbucks..... So all campaigners can be satisfied with daily doses of caffeine, and Omar will survive me.

Thursday Night Pizza pals, phone banking in Iowa is one different experience, voters have either "had it" and hang up (not so new), or "you better know your stuff" (very new). And god for bid if voters on the line find out your from out of state, you will get a long lesson on the real rules of the Caucus!

Yes we go lost today, yes I was driving, and U turns are not an option, there are giant snow banks on both sides of very skinny roads. To add to this long un-needed tour of Linn County, a friendly direction giver, gave me some eerie some what coincidental advice "be careful when in that intersection over that bridge, it has the highest crash rate in the state" when I arrived at the corner I had to take a picture, the street signs read "Collins" and "Council" . Although it is kind of weird, I am un-sure of what it might mean?

OK, how’s this- there is the State of Iowa, the County of Iowa, and the City of Iowa, in which the City of Iowa is not "in" the County of Iowa???

One thing I am sure I love about Iowa is "The Irish Democrat", the Cedar bar where people (including staffers from all campaigns) just hang out, talk politics, gossip, and share personal knowledge. Tonight, people shared a lot and some of it, I will share with all of you.

Some "knowledge" from a local Iowan who has participated in a gazillion caucuses:
"You can never believe an Iowa Caucus Poll because pollsters save a few bucks by using data that is not verifiable. The so called "likely caucus attendees" used for data, are not verifiable and are made up of people who "claim" to have attended a caucus." Is this local right with her facts? I hope so, I can tell you that after hearing it for at least 60 minutes tonight- I was a believer!
Iowan Lingo I learned:
"Clinton walkers are referred to as "Mormons"; they are every where and always come in pairs."

Ok, its late... talk to you tomorrow... I will send this address out, so that somebody may actually read this.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm hearing a great deal of concern about same day registrations as well...I've heard there is an organized effort by some Republicans to register as Democrats in an effort to get the Democrat they prefer to take on in the General Election - Hillary Clinton...makes one wonder why Hillary is "prefered" and just how far across the aisle Hillary's Borg have reached out for help?

Of course, it's all about Hillary Clinton's negatives and the Republicans knowing that whoever there Republican Nominee is they have the best chance of beating her over any other Democratic Nominee!

I know how cold it gets in Iowa - just don't let yourself get "bone" cold Ronni!

Mike said...

It's 75 degrees here and I'm laying by the pool soaking up some sun and drinking margaritas.I've lived in Alaska and Maine. That's why I live in Las Vegas now ! Being there only till Jan. 4th will not allow you to fully understand the word "WINTER" !!!! Stay till March and camp out !!!
When I'm in that climate in winter and I see a woman with a full length fur coat I run up to her and throw my arms around her and hang on hugging tight till springtime when all of the water has thawed. Wrapping a bar around yourself for warmth with lots of straight Irish whiskey works sometimes also ! Are you laughing ?? Now I know how Uncle Joe is spending my Soc. Sec. money Barb robbed from me and sent to him !!!

Anonymous said...

If I told you once I.ll tell you again Ronnie and Omar put on a jacket This country needs the Big B I want to send with you alot of Nevada Spirit With Sen Biden I truly learned the meanings of INTEGRITY and TRUST !Have a drink on me and don,t forget the lock deicer Oh by the way I forgot to mention other qualities like Honest,Genius,Real,Leader and caring This will not be a 3 person race,I,ll see to that!

Unknown said...

Love the comment about the Clinton walkers. That's hilarious.

We missed you at my going away lunch but we totally understood.

Have fun and keep warm!!!!

Hugs,

~A'shanti

Anonymous said...

For those that don't know it, Joe Biden got elected at age 29 and had to wait for his 30th birthday to take the oath of office and begin serving - he's probably the most brilliant candidate running in a group of really intelligent candidates - too bad America is NOT smart known for electing the smartest candidates!

If Biden doesn't win, I'm hoping he'll be the next Senate Majority Leader, with all due respect to Harry Reid (whose had his chance) - I'm convinced Joe Biden will get the Senate out of gridlock and back to doing the business of the people (one way or another)!

Anonymous said...

I.m not tellihg you and Omar put your jackets on The Big B and the Council and omars family don,t need you to come home sick!Keep up the great work,I,m just sorry I,m not there to help!

Bob Unger said...

You picked the right guy. We'll get together after your win in Iowa. That's when the money will roll in.

Anonymous said...

Hey y'all,

Better you than me. I don't like 40 degree weather let alone snow, thats why I moved to the desert. I think that Joe can shock the world on Thursday. History tells us that the polls are bunk anyways. Are you going to end up in NH too? Miss y'all.

Jack Mallory

Anonymous said...

This Northern Nevada lady is rooting for Joe Biden through and through. Love your blog. Glad you're in Iowa giving all your great support to Biden. Wish I could join you.

A month ago I was looking for someone to support but no one had lit that spark for me - then I saw Joe Biden on C-Span at a Town Hall Meeting in Waverly, Iowa. That was it! I knew who I would be supporting, but mostly who would be the BEST President for the United States of America! He is absolutely the BEST! He is intelligent, he thinks not only locally but globally, knows foreign policy, health care, is forthright and tells it like it is.

So many of my friends in Nevada and California say the same. They like Biden, they want Biden, but they wonder about his chances. My response to them - "he needs all our support, he needs contributions, he needs to be talked about. They're ready to support him.